Brick

Brick

The Social Conquest of Earth - Edward O. Wilson A truly wonderful book. Wilson's choice of the most felicitous phrase illuminates this vastly informative book. I read Sociobiology years ago, and noted with interest and amusement the push back his ideas received from the owners of "conventional wisdom". And predictably enough, we see it again, now that he has revised his thinking, based on an enormous accumulation of scientific data and analysis during the intervening years, and has moved beyond 'kin selection' to 'group selection' as the driving force behind humanity's social conquest of the earth, a convincing argument buttressed with a huge amount of information convincingly presented, and, as is so regularly the case, ferociously opposed by the 'conventional wisdom'.

The chapter "The Origins of Morality and Honor" is a superior guide to self-understanding and thoughtful self-direction, and a valuable guide for each of us.

The last section and chapter "Where Are We Going" "A New Enlightenment" will be a guide to our survival as a species, or an ironic valedictory in our species aftermath.