Brick

Brick

The Teleportation Accident - Ned Beauman This book lives up to all of the comments on the flyleaf, and has really striking cover art. Picking this book up and reading the comments on the back cover and enjoying the striking front cover is an example of why hardcopy books have such an edge on ebooks.

Egon Loeser is a protagonist who is almost completely unlikeable, and I was at first put off as I read the first portion of the book, finally realizing that his complete self-interest, and total commitment to avoiding boredom, bad parties, and any realization whatsoever of the impact of the times he is living through was his nature, a sort of archetype of the fin de sciele personality to be expected in post-Weimar degenerate Berlin, but I was swept away by the scope of the book, from 17th century Paris and Venice to 20th century Hollywood, and thousands of years beyond, always searching for "Midnight at the Nursing Academy" while dealing with the Comintern, spies, Lovecraftian based national defense, and total outrageously inventive hilarity.

I totally recommend this book, I cannot remember laughing so hard so often while reading anything else.